The Day Tour to Melnik includes the Rozhen monastery & Wine tasting
Melnik is the smallest town of Bulgaria, lying among the picturesque sandstone cliffs of Melnik. In the 19th century the town was a commercial center of the region thanks to the production of wine and tobacco. After the Liberation (1878) the town remain under the Ottoman rule and declined. it lost its traditional connections with the Aegean Sea and the Middle East. Today it is a charming village offering great recreational facilities. The climate is warm and mild and the beauty of the surrounding nature attracts a lot of visitors. The beautiful sand stone formations around the village give it a romantic atmosphere and offer beautiful sights.
The historic Rozhen monastery (The Nativity of Godmother) lies 6 km from Melnik. It dates to the beginning of the 13th century. Many times it was destroyed and plundered by different invaders. The today’s monastery is from the 16th century with murals depicting more than 150 Biblical scenes. The adornments include precious icons, elegant candlesticks, crosses, and a wonderful wood-carved iconostasis. A miracle-working icon of the Holy Godmother stands in the central niche. Many people visit the monastery to pay honor to this miraculous icon.
Why book your Day Tour to Melnik with us?
- Licensed, accredited and extremely professional tour guide with best credentials and expertise
- Pick up from your hotel and drop off included
- Choose your own pick up time
- Flexibility to alter the program, even while on the tour
- Best value for money
- A very comfortable, safe and non-smoking vehicle equipped with wi-fi on board
- The guide will be happy to go the extra mile to render your tour to a real memorable experience
- All taxes, admissions and parking fees will be included in tour price
- Walk on the little streets of the smallest town of Bulgaria
- Enjoy the Melnik sand pyramids, one of the natural phenomena in Europe
- Visit the beautiful Rozhen monastery and pay honor to the miraculous icon of the Virgin Mary
- Taste local wines
For other day tours from Sofia check here: One Day Tours from Sofia
Testimonials about the way we serve our customers you can find in Trip Advisor.
Visiting Melnik will get you to know the Macedonian part of present day Bulgaria and its turbulent history. You will walk around and admire its beautiful setting with old houses with rich architecture and beautiful arrangement, perched on the sand hills surrounding the village.
The Rozhen monastery is the biggest in the region and is situated on a high plateau where from you can admire beautiful views towards the famous sand pyramids. It is one of the best preserved and most beautiful monasteries in Bulgaria.